Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Beginning of our Exciting Journey

Sunday, February 8th I woke up in the middle of the night not feeling very well.  I tried to go back to sleep but when I woke up in the morning my body was really sore and I felt a little like I had the flu.  Lucas who I feel is a lot like his dad is always moving in my belly, but since last night he had been very quiet.  I decided to go to work and would call the doctors from school. When I got my first available moment at school I called the doctor and they told me I had to come in right away.  I called Mike and let him know what the doctors said.  He made it to the hospital before me.  Mike and I arrived at Dr. Martin's office around 12 noon.  The ultrasound tech said Lucas looked great... strong heartbeat and he was moving around.  When she took a closer look she immediately got on the phone and the word emergency came from her lips. Within 30 minutes I was in a wheel chair on my way to the maternity ward at Saddleback Womens's Hospital. Mike was by my side during the entire time.   I was having contractions every 3 minutes and to my doctor's surprise my cervix was very thin. At 27 weeks Lucas needs more time to grow inside my belly. They immediately started me on a strong medication to stop my contractions and prevent him from delivering. Thankfully things have calmed down and we are all hoping that Lucas will remain safely in my belly for weeks to come. Although we have been told to take it day by day we both feel that Lucas is being taken care of and he is in God's hands. I am currently on strict bed rest at the hospital and am hoping to see visitors once Lucas and I are completely stabilized.  We hope to continually update Lucas' blog and share his journey with all our wonderful friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment